German Rhubarb Cake (Rhabarberkuchen)
It's easy to learn how to make pastry cakes. pastry cakes is one of my favorite menu.
How to make pastry cakes easily?
In this recipe you will discover the simplest yet most flavourful way to make the pastry cakes! Whether you're cooking for a small family dinner or a daytime potluck, follow these easy steps for some excellent bites!
- **Dough for Crust**
- 200 g flour (1 2/3 cup)
- 100 g unsalted butter (a little less than 1/2 cup)
- 5 Tbsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 6-7 stalks rhubarb (500g or 1 1/4 lb )
- 3 egg yolks
- 100 g sugar (about 1/2 cup)
- 125 g peeled, ground almonds (not flour!) or sub. walnuts (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 egg whites
- Powdered sugar to dust
- Make the dough: crumble the butter into the flour and sugar with your fingers.
- Add egg and work into a dough ball and knead a couple minutes until smooth. Wrap in foil or plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Prep the filling after the dough has chilled and preheat the oven to 190°C/375°F. Wash rhubarb, peel if desired (I'm too lazy but will get rid of any stringiness) and cut into 1/2 in (1-2 cm) pieces.
- Grease a 9 in (22-23 cm) springform baking pan with butter. Roll out the dough into a large circle and line the pan with it, pressing the dough up the sides. If it falls apart in some parts, just press it in. Poke with a fork on the bottom.
- Separate the egg yolks and egg whites into separate bowls. Beat the egg yolks with half of the sugar (50g or about 1/4 cup) until creamy. Gently mix in the ground almonds.
- In a the other bowl, beat the egg whites until it forms stiff peaks like a meringue. Quickly beat in the rest of the sugar.
- Gently fold in the egg yolk and almond mixture.
- Put the rhubarb into the springform pan evenly accross the crust dough. Pour over the egg mixture and even off the surface. Push down the sides of the dough if it's too high up the pan.
- Bake in the 190°C/375°F oven for 40 minutes. Remove, and let cool for 10 minutes in the pan before removing the springform.
- Once completely cooled, you can sprinkle with powdered sugar.
That's recipes pastry cakes, Special thanks to Felice for making this delicious recipe.