Pickled Red Cabbage
It's easy to learn how to make pickled red cabbage. pickled red cabbage is one of my favorite menu.
How to make pickled red cabbage easily?
In this recipe you will discover the simplest yet most flavourful way to make the pickled red cabbage! Whether you're cooking for a small family dinner or a daytime potluck, follow these easy steps for some excellent bites!
- Spiced vinegar:
- 1500 ml White distiled malt vinegar
- 170 grams Honey
- 2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 2 tsp mixed peppercorns
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- Cabbage preperation:
- 2 head Red Cabbage
- 4 large Sterilised Jars
- Cut the stalk ends off the cabbages and pull off the outer leaves and discard. Slice the cabbages in half then in half again. Cut out any tough stalk you can see, then shred the cabbage to about 1 cm width or however you prefer it chunky or not. Place in a bowl and cover in salt then wrap in cling film and leave for 24 hours.
- After the cabbage has sat for 24 hours find suitable Jars for placing the pickled cabbage in.
- Wash the jars and sterilise, i sterilse by putting them in my halogen oven at 130°C for 13 minutes.
- While the jars are sterilising start making the spiced vinegar. Place the vinegar, honey, mustard seeds, peppercorns and coriander seeds in a pan and gently heat. Once the honey is melted and mixed into the vinegar its ready. Pour the vinegar mixture into a cold jug to stop it cooking off the liquid
- Take a hot jar out of the oven with gloves and carefully pack it full of cabbage. Really push the cabbage down in the jar to get the maximum amount inside. Do this for all the jars. Pour over the vinegar until the cabbage is covered then place on the warm lid from the oven this will help it get a perfect seal.
- Leave for a week and the jar liquid will turn a lovely purple/red and its ready for eating. Tastes really good on stews.
That's pickled red cabbage, Special thanks to jonathan mackenzie for making this delicious recipe.